If you are regular baanboard user you will have noticed that since 1st of June 2008 alot of changes and new features have been introduced to the site. This page will try to briefly describes these changes and features. It will link to subsequent pages for more detailed information where necessary.
CMS & frontpage
Baanboard now features a full-fledged CMS system that integrates seamlessly with our existing forum. This CMS is powered by vbDrupal which is adapted version of the very popular Drupal CMS that provides bridging to our forum software vBulletin. Some of the most important features that the CMS integration brings to us are:
- single sign-on (using the exising forum accounts). All existing wiki accounts are no longer necessary and have consequently been removed.
- a customizable left-hand navigation panel that provides easy and quick access to different sections of the site via menus. It also provides a number of dynamically updated data 'blocks'.
- a dynamically generated frontpage that pulls information from different parts of the site such as latest forum posts, latest jobs, latest RSS news etc.
- consistent look & feel with the existing forum.
- the forum is used as backend when adding comments to CMS content where allowed and/or applicable. For this purpose a new group of forums has been created: CMS - Forum Integration
Other CMS features will be described in further topics below.
Following changs have been made to our forum:
- All forum content is now displayed and stored in UTF-8 format. This will make support for languages other than english considerable easier in the future.
- Individual forums that part of the CMS - Forum Integration forum group are not open for new threads. These will only function as discussion space for newly added CMS content
- The Polls & Survey forum has been obsoleted in favour of the native polls facility that the CMS provides. The old forum polls have been moved to the Polls and Surveys forum in the CMS - Forum Integration forum group.
- The Recruiters and Job seekers forums have been obsoleted in favour of the native job/resume application that the CMS provides. All old job posts have been moved to the Jobs and Resumes forum in the CMS - Forum Integration forum group.
- The Newsfeed forum has been obsoleted. RSS newsfeeds are now provided by the native CMS RSS aggregator. See the menu: Main > News > RSS Newsfeeds
Baanboard members can now maintain their own blog on Baanboard. Although we encourage people to use this feature we do ask that blog contributions are about to Baan & related products/services or at least ICT topics. To update or add to your own blog, go to the menu My Baanboard > My Blog.
Search & Categorization
Baanboard now provides a number of search related features. The most convenient one is the Site Search which provides an easy way to search through either the CMS, forum or the entire site via Google. Note that the native CMS & forum search engines unfortunately do not integrate with each other and require separate search queries if you wish to look through both.
CMS content can be tagged with pre-defined value or free-form terms (only allowed for specific categories). You can use these tags (aka Categories) to quickly identify similar CMS content. See the menu My Baanboard > Category Browser.
Jobs & Resumes
Job openings and resumes can no longer be posted in the forum. Instead a special job/resume module is used within the CMS that provides a more consistent and efficient way of entering and tracking such data. Please read the following FAQ topics to get more information on this new feature: How do I post a job opening or vacancy?, How do I post my resume/Curriculum Vitae?, How do I apply for a job?, How can I search for resumes/CV or potential job seekers?
Note that only the last 5 most recent job posts have been converted from forum posts into proper CMS job postings. All other previous job postings & resumes will remain available at the forum for at least the next 6 months.
Stories & News
Baanboard now supports a number of RSS newsfeeds that provide syndicated content from popular ICT/ERP news sites. You can access the available news feeds via the menu: Main > News > RSS Newsfeeds
Registered memberscan contribute news stories in their whole to the site. Such stories can be press releases, product & event announcements etc. If you wish to contribute a story then please go to the menu My Baanboard > Contribute/Post > Story. Note that a teaser of the most recent news story will always be displayed on the baanboard frontpage.
Baanboard members can now add baan/ERP related web links to an URL directory. You can add a new link via the menu My Baanboard > Contribute/Post > Web Link