Fire up your proton packs, people, because there's going to be another Ghostbusters movie from Sony Pictures, according to Entertainment Weekly. Jason Reitman (Juno, Thank You For Smoking) will direct the new film, which will be set in the same fictional universe as the 1984 original and its sequel—unlike Paul Feige's 2016 all-female Ghostbusters.
Reitman is a fitting choice, seeing as how he's the son of Ivan Reitman, director of the 1980s films. You may have glimpsed Jason, his mother, and his sister in the original Ghostbusters, as residents fleeing their haunted skyscraper. Jason even had a line in the 1989 sequel: he was the birthday boy who told the 'Busters, "My dad says you guys are full of crap."
Reitman resisted following in his father's footsteps for years, but it seems he's finally succumbing to the call. “I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman told EW. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”
Grab your pager and get ready to head back to the 1990s for a solo film about a Marvel heroine who just might save the universe. Here's what we know.
Evidence-based policy? What a novel idea...
Analysis President Trump on Monday signed legislation that attempts to make US government data more accessible for people and machines, though his predecessor deserves much of the credit.…
YouTube says challenges that put users at risk of serious injury have no place on the site.
The chipmaker brought co-founder Irwin Jacobs and its executive in charge of 4G and 5G to talk up its innovations in wireless.
2011 ban on interstate, foreign sports betting extended to online lotteries, poker, casinos
Last November, US Justice Department officials, having reviewed the nation's laws, quietly concluded that, oops, interstate and international internet gambling is actually illegal. For some reason, that view was only made public on Monday. And for now, this hot take is not being enforced across the country.…
Today, Apple quietly began taking orders for battery-equipped cases for all three 2018 iPhone models—iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. The value proposition and designs are essentially the same as with battery cases made by Apple for prior iPhones.
As pictured above, each phone gets a black and a white option. The cases are made of silicone and closely resemble the existing, not-battery-equipped silicone cases that began shipping with the phones first became available late last year, except for the significant bumps on the lower two thirds of the backs of each case. The bump houses the battery, of course. Since the three phones are each different sizes, these cases are not interchangeable between models.
These cases work with Qi wireless chargers, and you can charge both the case and the phone at the same time from said chargers—though it should probably be said that Qi speeds on iPhones are nothing to write home about, and that's a whole lot of lithium-ion battery to fill up. In many cases, you'll be better off going wired, and that's OK, because the cases support fast-charging from USB-PD compatible chargers.
It appears that EA Vancouver's Star Wars game has gone the way of Alderaan.
The game in question was once codenamed "Ragtag" while in development with wholly owned EA subsidiary Visceral Games. That changed in late 2017 with a formal announcement of that studio's closure, along with the game's assets and development being primarily handed over to the EA Vancouver studio. This handover was officially described as "a significant change" to the in-development game due to "fundamental shifts in the marketplace."
Kotaku's Tuesday report alleges that the resulting, rebooted Star Wars game, which had been built as an "open-world" adventure, has since been canceled. The report, from Jason Schreier, cites "three sources," but it does not confirm an exact timeline of the cancellation. Schreier says that EA has neither offered its own news post nor responded to Kotaku's questions.
The US government has accused Qualcomm of unfairly hurting competitors and charging excessive royalties for its technology. Qualcomm's defense began later Tuesday with co-founder Irwin Jacobs.
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Barbra Streisand, George Takei, Pee-wee Herman, Bernadette Peters and more take to Twitter to honor the Broadway legend.
Furloughed and unpaid workers won't have to pony up fees for late payments or agent assistance.
The pair allegedly hacked a corporate filing system to obtain not-yet-public earnings reports.
Tom Holland webslings back for Peter Parker's European vacation, with new teammates and Aunt May by his side.
The streaming service says "voices on all sides of an issue or cause are free to operate a channel."
Don't crack up, but I had an email exchange with Instagram's most-liked photo.
Crooks banked $270,000 in just one move, it is claimed
A pair of Ukranian hackers broke into America's financial watchdog to swipe insider info for stock traders, it is claimed.…
Burgers are for lovers at the fast-food chain, where reservations get you hostess seating and music.
Polluters likely had a good year in 2018. According to numbers from advocacy group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), the number of criminal pollution cases that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) referred to the Department of Justice for potential prosecution was lower in 2018 than it had been in 30 years.
That's probably not because industry in America is becoming more environmentally conscious. PEER suggests the reason for the low number of referrals is that the EPA is only employing between 130 and 140 special agents in the agency's Criminal Investigation Division, less than the minimum 200 agents specified by the US Pollution Prevention Act of 1990.
The EPA only referred 166 cases to the Justice Department in 2018. According to numbers from the Associated Press, referrals peaked in 1998, with 592 cases referred for prosecution. Throughout the George W. Bush presidency, referrals ranged somewhere between 300 and 450. Referrals dipped during the Obama presidency to a range between 200 and just over 400. Referrals have been on a downward trend since 2012.
If at first, second, third... fourth time you don't succeed, you're Apple: Another appeal lost in $440m net patent war
Yes, it plans to appeal again
Apple has, for the fourth time now, lost an appeal against a $440m patent-infringement damages award, payable to VirnetX – and pledged to appeal the decision.…