Last week Samsung announced its latest flagship phone, the Galaxy Note 9. But is its new $1,000 price worth it? CNET wants to know your thoughts.
It has potential, but don't expect anything useful too soon
The world’s smallest transistor can be controlled by a single atom, according to a scientists from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany.…
Remember Google's Project Maven? Employees reportedly have a new ethical axe to grind.
Tsinghua University blamed for espionage attack
An attack on US government facilities in Alaska has been traced back to China's Tsinghua University and a larger hacking effort.…
Ford is developing redundant electrical systems and many other safeguards for autonomous vehicles.
MoviePass now decides which six movies you can choose from each day. Whee!
Social media shifts APIs, starts charging for some features
Is Twitter broken? That's what many are asking today as their favorite apps for the social media service suddenly appeared to stop working.…
Online streaming has crushed Blockbuster and its last store is a reminder of a not-so-distant past.
The Federal Communications Commission chairman has known that his agency's claims about being hit by DDoS attacks were false for more than six months, but he says he could not correct the record publicly because of an internal investigation that didn't wrap up until this month.
The FCC Office of Inspector General (OIG) issued its report on the matter last week, finding that the FCC lied to Congress when it claimed that DDoS attacks caused a May 2017 outage that temporarily prevented net neutrality supporters from filing comments opposing Pai's plan to kill net neutrality rules. The false claims were made primarily by former Chief Information Officer David Bray, and Bray's false statements were sent to Congress in attachments to letters that Pai wrote to lawmakers.
At an FCC oversight hearing held today by the Senate Commerce Committee, Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) pressed FCC Chairman Ajit Pai on his failure to correct those false statements until this month.
It’s a key reason why those elections had less trouble with cybersecurity.
We break down CNET's full review of the Note 9, talk about T-Mobile customers getting Pandora Plus free for a year, and discuss crappy customer service.
David Harbour praises "great scripts" for next year, and notes that the actors are "out of our comfort zone."
You weren't going to use that meditation app right now anyway.
New standard tech includes Apple CarPlay and Subaru's EyeSight safety suite.
Ford embraces modular platforms in a big way as it seeks to freshen its lineup.
TCP slower but not by much and enables Ethernet use
Analysis Pavilion Data says NVMe over Fabrics using TCP adds less than 100µs latency to RDMA RoCE and is usable at data centre scale.…
Greetings, Arsians! Courtesy of our friends at TechBargains, we have another round of deals to share. Today's list is led by a promotion for subscribers of Verizon's "unlimited" mobile plans: starting today, they can get six months of Apple Music for no added cost.
Verizon first announced the promotion earlier this month, saying it was "just the first step in an exclusive partnership with Apple," but the offer officially became available on Thursday. The deal is available to new customers and subscribers of any of Verizon's three current "unlimited" plans, as well as new and current subscribers of Apple Music itself. Since Apple Music normally runs for $9.99 a month, you're saving about $60 in total.
Verizon says eligible users can activate the deal on its promo page or in the Account > Add-ons section of the My Verizon mobile app. The offer doesn't blanket-cover family plans, but Verizon says that account owners can add the promo to each line in their Verizon account. (You may want to cancel any auto-renew settings right away, though, so you don't wind up paying for multiple Apple Music subscriptions come February.) If you're a Verizon subscriber who already pays for Apple Music, the carrier says you'll have to cancel your current membership to utilize the promo.
Some of this week's challenges are a little different, but you'll fly through them if you know where to go.
As Google makes more and more hardware products, it makes more and more sense for the company to have some kind of retail arm to show off its stuff. Google has a few "stores within stores" at places like Best Buy in the US and Currys PC World in the UK, setups where the company pays for a premium demo area specifically for its products. Google also has the occasional temporary "pop-up store" for holidays. A standalone brick-and-mortar Google Store has never materialized, though, despite several attempts.
A new report from the Chicago Tribune claims that Google is starting up its standalone retail ambitions again, this time with a flagship retail space in Chicago’s Fulton Market district. The report says Google is "close to finalizing a lease" for an almost 14,000-square-foot space that would consist of "several connected, two-story brick buildings between 845 and 851 W. Randolph St." This would be just two blocks south of Google's Chicago headquarters.
When asked for comment, Google gave The Tribune its usual “We don’t comment on rumor or speculation” statement. Newcastle Limited, the company that owns the space, also declined comment to The Tribune. Newcastle's listing of the space is here.